Cullercoats, North Tyneside
Situated on Beverley Terrace (sea front), Cullercoats, North Tyneside.
Memorial drinking fountain, circa 1888. Erected by friends of B.J.H. Adamson, on a site given by Duke of Northumberland.
Built of sandstone with marble panel and cast iron lion masks. An octagonal plinth with marble inlaid panels beneath a cornice. A bowl at the top of the plinth received water from four lion heads.
Why do so many of these fountains sport lion heads ?
An inscription reads -
Erected by a few friends in memory of Brian John Huthwaite Adamson, Lieut. R.N. commanding H.M.S. Wasp, which sailed from Singapore September 10 1887 and was never heard of after.
The site was given for this memorial by his grace the Duke of Northumberland.